Small flexible rod which is placed just under the skin on the inside of the upper arm. It can be felt under the skin but not seen.
How it Works
The rod slowly releases the female hormone progestogen, which stops ovulation (an egg being released). It also thickens the mucus at the neck of the womb making it difficult for sperm to enter, and thins the lining of the womb.
- Does not interrupt sex
- Works for up to three years
- May reduce painful periods
- May cause irregular bleeding, no bleeding at all, acne or weight gain
- Insertion and removal must be done by a specially trained doctor
- Does not protect against sexually transmitted infections